GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

Jeff
I recently upgraded to OS X Mavericks. Now when I get '-bash: gvm: command not found' when I run 'gvm' from the command line.

When I run 'curl -s get.gvmtool.net | bash' from the command line, I get a message stating 'You already have GVM installed,' so I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Any suggestions?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator
We experienced some problems connecting to our database this morning, resulting in some failed selfupdates.

To recover from this, you can run:
 $ curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash

We will be introducing a forced self update feature soon (for recovery), as well as some error checking to see if the API is available before attempting a selfupdate.

Hope this helps...
Marco.
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

Jeff
Thanks Marco. I ran the curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash command but I'm still getting a bash error '-bash: gvm: command not found'.

Any other ideas?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator

Hi Jeff,

Forgot to mention that you need to source the gvm-init.sh or open a new terminal after that.

If that does not work, could I ask you to post the exact console output after running that selfupdate command please?

On 30 Oct 2013 22:02, "Jeff [via GVM Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Marco. I ran the curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash command but I'm still getting a bash error '-bash: gvm: command not found'.

Any other ideas?


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.gvmtool.net/GVM-no-longer-working-with-OS-X-Mavericks-tp48p50.html
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks, click here.
NAML
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

Jeff
In reply to this post by marco.vermeulen
Here's the output I get when I run curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash

Updating gvm...
[/Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip]
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip or
        /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip.zip, and cannot find /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip.ZIP, period.
mv: rename /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/stage/gvm-init.sh to /Users/jeff/.gvm/bin/gvm-init.sh: No such file or directory
mv: rename /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/stage/gvm-* to /Users/jeff/.gvm/src/gvm-*: No such file or directory


Successfully upgraded GVM.

Please open a new terminal, or run the following in the existing one:

    source "/Users/jeff/.gvm/bin/gvm-init.sh"


I then open a new terminal and type 'gvm' and I get '-bash: gvm: command not found'
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator

Could you tell me the output for:

echo $GVM_SERVICE

?

On 30 Oct 2013 22:14, "Jeff [via GVM Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here's the output I get when I run curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash

Updating gvm...
[/Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip]
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip or
        /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip.zip, and cannot find /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/res-1.3.11.zip.ZIP, period.
mv: rename /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/stage/gvm-init.sh to /Users/jeff/.gvm/bin/gvm-init.sh: No such file or directory
mv: rename /Users/jeff/.gvm/tmp/stage/gvm-* to /Users/jeff/.gvm/src/gvm-*: No such file or directory


Successfully upgraded GVM.

Please open a new terminal, or run the following in the existing one:

    source "/Users/jeff/.gvm/bin/gvm-init.sh"


I then open a new terminal and type 'gvm' and I get '-bash: gvm: command not found'


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.gvmtool.net/GVM-no-longer-working-with-OS-X-Mavericks-tp48p52.html
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks, click here.
NAML
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

Jeff
cho $GVM_SERVICE yields no output.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator

Right, I think I know the problem...

I suspect that you were pointing to our beta API, which was retired last week. Since then I have pointed the beta domain at the dev instance of gvm.

What to do:
Delete the version token found at:
~/.gvm/var/version

Now open a new terminal and run:
$ curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash

Source the init file as instructed and hopefully all should work again.

On 30 Oct 2013 22:19, "Jeff [via GVM Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
cho $GVM_SERVICE yields no output.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.gvmtool.net/GVM-no-longer-working-with-OS-X-Mavericks-tp48p54.html
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks, click here.
NAML
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

Jeff
I tried removing the version token and running the curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash but I'm still getting '-bash: gvm: command not found'.

One thing I noticed is the contents of ~/.gvm/bin is empty. I'm guessing this shouldn't be the case?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator

Last thing to try:

export GVM_SERVICE="api.gvmtool.net"

Now follow the steps I suggested earlier.

If this fails, nuke the .gvm folder and install from scratch.

On 30 Oct 2013 22:37, "Jeff [via GVM Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tried removing the version token and running the curl -s get.gvmtool.net/selfupdate | bash but I'm still getting '-bash: gvm: command not found'.

One thing I noticed is the contents of ~/.gvm/bin is empty. I'm guessing this shouldn't be the case?


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.gvmtool.net/GVM-no-longer-working-with-OS-X-Mavericks-tp48p56.html
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks, click here.
NAML
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

Jeff
Sweet. export GVM_SERVICE="api.gvmtool.net" did the trick. Thanks Marco.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator

Glad I could help!

On 30 Oct 2013 22:46, "Jeff [via GVM Forum]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sweet. export GVM_SERVICE="api.gvmtool.net" did the trick. Thanks Marco.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.gvmtool.net/GVM-no-longer-working-with-OS-X-Mavericks-tp48p58.html
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks, click here.
NAML
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

Lior
As many times as I've followed these instructions, gvm continues not to be recongized upon each new terminal session.  i've exported the right commands for bash_profile.  Nothing works.  I do, however, get these errors when curling:
Attempt update of bash profiles...
bash: line 246: /Users/liorlight/.bashrc: Permission denied
Updated existing /Users/liorlight/.bashrc
Attempt update of zsh profiles...
bash: line 257: /Users/liorlight/.zshrc: Permission denied
Updated existing /Users/liorlight/.zshrc

Any ideas what may be going on?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

chaz2k
In reply to this post by marco.vermeulen
Marco,

I'm having this issue:

chazMBPRet-2:SEDemo chaz$ gvm install groovy 2.4.3
Jun 30, 2015 5:49:06 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
SEVERE: Could not contact localhost:8005. Tomcat may not be running.
Jun 30, 2015 5:49:06 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
SEVERE: Catalina.stop:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:391)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:579)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:528)
        at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:425)
        at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:208)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:450)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:487)

-bash: __gvmtool_Using CATALINA_BASE:   /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_06.jdk/Contents/Home
Using CLASSPATH:       /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.: No such file or directory

Which file or directory is not found?

I also ran the command you recommended above:

chazMBPRet-2:SEDemo chaz$ echo $GVM_SERVICE
http://api.gvmtool.net

Please help me. Thanking you in advance.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator
Wow, you seem to have a serious miss configuration there. Are you running some kind of proxy server through a misconfigured tomcat?

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 at 14:00 chaz2k [via GVM Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Marco,

I'm having this issue:

chazMBPRet-2:SEDemo chaz$ gvm install groovy 2.4.3
Jun 30, 2015 5:49:06 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
SEVERE: Could not contact localhost:8005. Tomcat may not be running.
Jun 30, 2015 5:49:06 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
SEVERE: Catalina.stop:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:391)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:579)
        at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:528)
        at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:425)
        at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:208)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:450)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:400)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:487)

-bash: __gvmtool_Using CATALINA_BASE:   /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23/temp
Using JRE_HOME:        /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_06.jdk/Contents/Home
Using CLASSPATH:       /Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23/bin/bootstrap.jar:/Users/chaz/Java/apache-tomcat-8.0.23/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
Tomcat started.: No such file or directory

Which file or directory is not found?

I also ran the command you recommended above:

chazMBPRet-2:SEDemo chaz$ echo $GVM_SERVICE
http://api.gvmtool.net

Please help me. Thanking you in advance.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks, click here.
NAML
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

chaz2k
No, why is the gvm install trying to stop and start tomcat in the first place? does the gvm tool needs it running?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks

marco.vermeulen
Administrator

Believe me, it doesn't. Something is REALLY wrong on your system.


On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:28 chaz2k [via GVM Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, why is the gvm install trying to stop and start tomcat in the first place? does the gvm tool needs it running?



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM no longer working with OS X Mavericks, click here.
NAML
---
Marco Vermeulen