classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using gvm in Jenkins-ci

maigras
Hi,

I want to build my grails project with Jenkins using GVM so that I can switch between versions easily depending on the version of grails that different projects need.

So I installed gvm and within gvm I installed 2 different grails versions.
It seems that gvm is installed under /root/.gvm/grails

When I configure jenkins I can choose between (default) which uses the GRAILS_HOME variable (I think) and the versions I have added manually by specifying the path to /root/.gvm/grails/<version>

When I choose a version that I manually added, I get /root/.gvm/grails/1.3.7/bin/grails doesn't exist
and when I choose (default) I get "could not found the command"

I think that has something to do with the folder that gvm has been installed to. Normally, from my experience, I would have thought that gvm was installed under /var/lib/gvm but that is not the case. Can someone explain why? I have the feeling that this is a permission problem and that gvm is only available for me as a user but not for the user that runs the tomcat and jenkins...

Can anyone assist?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Using gvm in Jenkins-ci

marco.vermeulen
Administrator
I suggest that you do not use GVM on a CI environment. It has been purpose built for human interaction and making the development process easier.

If you want to use Grails on a CI environment, I suggest you use one of the following approaches:

* Use the download script provided in the gvm-cli/contrib folder: http://www.wiredforcode.com/blog/2013/09/03/gvm-on-continuous-integration-environments/
* Use the Grails plugin for Jenkins

Hope this helps some,
Marco.

On 16 December 2014 at 13:58, maigras [via GVM Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I want to build my grails project with Jenkins using GVM so that I can switch between versions easily depending on the version of grails that different projects need.

When I configure jenkins I can choose between (default) which uses the GRAILS_HOME variable (I think) and the versions I have added manually by specifying the path to /root/.gvm/grails/<version>

When I choose a version that I manually added, I get /root/.gvm/grails/1.3.7/bin/grails doesn't exist

Can anyone assist?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.gvmtool.net/Using-gvm-in-Jenkins-ci-tp302.html
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM Forum, click here.
NAML

--
Marco Vermeulen
+44 7757 510 608
---
Marco Vermeulen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Using gvm in Jenkins-ci

marco.vermeulen
Administrator
In reply to this post by maigras
I just checked, the contrib folder is now called bin:

On 16 December 2014 at 14:13, Marco Vermeulen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suggest that you do not use GVM on a CI environment. It has been purpose built for human interaction and making the development process easier.

If you want to use Grails on a CI environment, I suggest you use one of the following approaches:

* Use the download script provided in the gvm-cli/contrib folder: http://www.wiredforcode.com/blog/2013/09/03/gvm-on-continuous-integration-environments/
* Use the Grails plugin for Jenkins

Hope this helps some,
Marco.

On 16 December 2014 at 13:58, maigras [via GVM Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone assist?

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.gvmtool.net/Using-gvm-in-Jenkins-ci-tp302.html
To start a new topic under GVM Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from GVM Forum, click here.
NAML

--
Marco Vermeulen
<a href="tel:%2B44%207757%20510%20608" value="+447757510608" target="_blank">+44 7757 510 608

--
Marco Vermeulen
+44 7757 510 608
---
Marco Vermeulen